Monday, August 9, 2010

Home Decor is the Devil

Who knew that the main temptation of Shop Your Closet would not be longing for clothing, but shopping for home decor? Next in line are the twin evils of clothes for the kids and maybe even for the husband! The devil owns www.wisteria.com. And Restoration Hardware!

A friend told me a cautionary tale this weekend. A friend of hers had done a similar shopping ban and wound up hitting Whole Foods hard, without even being conscious of what she was doing. Result? Grocery bills that completely eclipsed any savings from the shopping ban! Yikes!

Saturday was a bit of a struggle. I was downtown getting my hair cut and colored. It was a beautiful day, I was feeling skinny for some unknown reason that has since disappeared, and the urge to do some shopping was strong! But instead, I directed myself home to work on the "transform husband's messy office into cute guest room" project.

That was an event in itself, requiring us to hire two guys to move furniture up and down the stairs for an hour that afternoon. The only bad news was that the mattress and box spring that I'd been storing in the basement for the guest room smells dusty. I am like the canary in a coal mine when it comes to dust and this thing makes me sneeze! That means purchasing a new mattress for the guest room. As Roseanna Roseannadanna said, if it's not one thing, then it's another.

With all this energy being directed into crafting and home improvement, there's hope that by Dec. 31 I will have actually created the family photo wall that's been sitting in boxes for a year!

2 comments:

  1. I go from two extremes, it seems: decorating or clothes. I binge on one or the other and then switch gears for a change of pace. I've been into clothes since May, but before that, it was decorating, decorating, decorating (my blog is evidence of this ... neglected since about May). Try as I might, I can't seem to establish a happy medium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne! Your blog is fab! I had no idea and just spent far too long reading ... and now am a follower.

    There must be a connection between clothes and decorating. For me, either is an outlet that enables me to procrastinate on my novel :)

    ReplyDelete