Thursday, October 28, 2010

Messing Up ... In Public

I messed up. It provoked interesting discussion on the YouLookFab.com forum yesterday. People overwhelmingly told me to return the dresses, and to stick by the rules. I get that. So I scuttled around to shops, returning dresses. (I had bought two more to try, in addition to those I posted, with the intention of finding one that would be right). I knew those were going back, so didn't bother to post them.

Dress #3: bubble skirt dress by MK, from Bloomingdale's: gorgeous but too tweedy for the party:



Dress #4: tweedy sequined sheath by MK, from Nordstrom. Fab but too holiday-ish for the party:





The zippered MK dress, above, is different. It seems silly to send it back and then re-purchase it in January, if I can. It fills a huge wardrobe hole and is perfect for my hairstyle and figure. I realize that this is justification and sounds lame. The honest truth is that the dress came from Zappos and is sitting in its box. It may or may not ever make it to the post office.

I consider spending $150 on clothes since July 17 to be pretty darned good. But I am not holding to the rules I set for myself, and I get that. People want to see me actually do it. They want to live vicariously through me, even if they are not managing to do it themselves. It feels like I'm on display, and that's not comfortable this week.

SYC hasn't bothered me too much until this week. I had fun decorating my house (more to do, waiting for further budget!), borrowing from friends, shopping my own closet. It was a relief to stop shopping for a while. But this week, it is driving me stark raving mad!!

Today, I'll go and shop my girlfriend's closet for a dress for Friday. It will be fun, and doing this makes me feel I'm fulfilling one of the goals of SYC. More tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry if in any way I made you feel like you messed up. On the contrary, you were very true to yourself by admitting that you bought those dresses.
    Although you set this rules and I'm more than happy to help in any way to make you stick to them I also understand that in the long run shopping wisely($150 0n clothes since july is totally acceptable)might be the ideal solution.
    Can you keep that dress and not buy anything more until January?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you be writing more articles regarding the ban? If so, when is the next one and what will you say?

    ReplyDelete